STARS Upgrade - December 2011
On this page:
STARS was upgraded from
PeopleSoft version 8.8 to PeopleSoft version 9.0 in December of 2007.
However, the current version 9.0 has reached the conclusion of its
lifecycle. To align STARS with the current Oracle/PeopleSoft ELM
release and to ensure timely vendor support, we are proposing this
project to upgrade from version 9.0 to 9.1.
the upgrade does provide functional
improvements for all system users, and especially for the Learning
Administrators. Moving to version 9.1 facilitates the addition of new
features and enhancements. The upgraded STARS application will deliver
numerous benefits to learners, administrators, instructors, and
- Learning portfolio management functionality will automate and streamline the planning, tracking, and analysis phases for managing learning demand and resources.
- Improved Notification Templates, Notification Events Manager, and Ad Hoc Notification Manager will enable improved flexibility around system-to-learner notifications.
- Deeper integration with PeopleSoft Human Capital Management modules such as Succession Planning, ePerformance, and Career Development.
- Usability enhancements such as:
- Catalog default course numbering and Effective Dating for activities.
- Multiple Learning Plans
per learner, with priorities and due dates.
The upgraded version of STARS
is scheduled to "Go-Live" on December
Please report additional issues by filing a HelpSU Request.
The outcome of this project will affect all campus learners, including faculty, staff, students, post-docs and consultants. In addition, this project also affects managers, instructors, and administrators.
The upgraded system will
deliver an expanded feature set that will improve how the university
- A learner will be able to search for, enroll in, request, and launch any type of training from a single learning page.
- Managers will be able to quickly view team members’ learning plans, add learning objectives.
- Instructors will be able to benefit from full roster support, automated reminders with optional instructor notes and attachments, and automatic attendance recording.
- Training and catalog
administrators will benefit from streamlined learning processes such as
enrollment, learning requests, learning portfolio management, and
All users will continue to
access STARS via the Axess
(those using the system to register themselves for training classes)
will see virtually no difference in the system. Most processes will
also remain the same for Learning Administrators, with some exceptions.
No changes to desktop software will be required.
The Project Team will communicate further with Enrollment and Learning Administrators as the STARS enhancements continue.
- Check this website frequently for updates.
- Enrollment and Learning
Administrators can join the STARS Working
- Other information
sessions and materials will be available in the coming weeks.
- Informational updates will be announced on the STARS web site and via email.
Stanford University implemented the PeopleSoft’s Enterprise Learning Management system in May of 2005 as an enhanced enterprise solution for proactively providing and tracking compliance and regulatory training for Stanford faculty, staff, students, and visiting scholars. The new system is a distinct module in the PeopleSoft system, and called STARS (Stanford Training And Registration System). STARS replaced PRISM, Stanford’s legacy learning management system. STARS also plays a role in the delivery of Learning and Development opportunities, expanding its capabilities in the delivery of personal, professional and career development opportunities.Training and compliance programs use STARS to define and schedule training classes, register participants, track attendance/program completion, plan future training, etc. Programs using the system include:
- Administrative Systems
- Department of Chemistry
- Comparative Medicine - VSC
- Continuing Studies
- Dean of Research Office
- Department of Athletics, Physical Education & Recreation
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Financial Management Services
- Stanford Health &
Improvement Program (HIP)
- HR Learning & Organizational Effectiveness
- Information Security Office
- Internal Audit & Institutional Compliance
- IT Services - Technical Training
- Office of Development
- Office of Research Administration
- Parking & Transportation
- Research Compliance
- Residential & Dining Enterprises
- School of Medicine Compliance Offices
- School of Medicine Human Resources Group
- Sexual Harassment Policy Office
- Vaden Student Health Center
Learners and Learning
Administrators connect to the system via the Axess